Ok so Walmart last week had these awesome onesies for 3 bucks! They had all kinds of colors and sizes so I had to buy one to make something for my little meezers. I was thinking an elastic band tunic top... What do you think???
1. Super easy, and I thought of several ways to do it as I was doing it and I am still not sure which ways are the easiest. So here is what I did.
I cut the bottom of the onesie off about 1-2 inches below the arm pit. You choose how far down you want to cut it, it depends on where you want to place your elastic and how big your elastic is. I used 1 1/2 inch black elastic from walmart.
2.Next I cut my elastic 1 inch smaller then Mia's bust measurement.Then I sewed the elastic together making a ring, essentially a skirt top.
3. I chose my fabric. The amount of fabric that you use depends on how full and ruffly you want the skirt, and how long. For Mia's I wanted it to be a little shorter so it was more of a shirt rather then a dress, and I didn't care for it too be too full so I just doubled her waist measurements.
4. Here is where there are several options but this is the way I did it. I sewed the skirt right sides together to the cut off end of the onesie (obviously!) and the top of the skirt.
5. Next I just pinned my elastic onto the onesie and skirt and then sewed the elastic directly over the dress. on top and on bottom of the elastic.
6. Next decide how you want to embellish it if at all. I originally added this black and white hounds tooth to the hem but changed my mind later and folded it under and sewed it up. Which I think is kind of cute when it shows every once in awhile!
7. Don't forget to hem your skirt and pair it with some cute leggings and there you have your own little tunic top!
Labels: little girl, sewing, You should try it